This week has been a bit off schedule due to some unexpected events. However, the homestead is carrying on nonetheless. It doesn’t matter if you are sick, busy or exhausted, the chickens and pigs still need tending to!
We have had two weeks of rain pretty much every day. Unfortunately, thanks to all of this rain, my cherry tomato plants developed early blight. Yuck.
I gave them an extreme pruning to get rid of the diseased leaves and looked up some natural remedies. I crushed up some egg shells and placed them in the soil, as well as added some new compost. I made an equal parts water and milk spray and am spraying the remaining leaves once a week. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them. I know prevention is much easier than treatment.
The buttercrunch lettuce is pretty much ready for harvesting, I just haven’t had a chance to get to it yet. I will have to come up with a yummy homemade salad dressing to enjoy with this homegrown lettuce.
I made some homemade caramel candies this week. I used this recipe HERE. The only thing I would change next time for this recipe it to add less honey and more vanilla. The candies had a pretty strong honey flavor. I also learned (the hard way) to use parchment paper, not wax paper, for when the candy is hot. You are left with a big mess of stuck on candy after the candy cools. The remedy (if you also happen to make this mistake) is to warm the carmel slightly and then slowly peel away the wax paper.
One method to do this, is to warm an oven with a cookie sheet in it to 175 degrees. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven, then place the sticky mess of wax paper and caramel on the cookie sheet. Allow both sides to be warmed-flip over after a minute or so. Once the caramel begins to warm, the wax paper will begin to let go. Despite this sticky mistake, the candies turned out pretty good.
I also had some time to weed out the West Bed and remove the plants that hadn’t been growing well. I planted some additional okra and eggplant because they transplants were unsuccessful. I also labeled everything so it’s much easier to see what’s what now.
I hope all is well in your gardens and the rain isn’t interfering too much with your Spring plans!
Until next time…